13 December 2007

For The Birds...


The other morning when I threw open the drapes on the big front window to greet the morning, I was astounded to find a little line of various local birds...They were all holding little signs up that said:

Will Chirp For Food

and

Free Food Now

It was embarrassing really...
you see, I keep their sacks of feed in a plastic container outside the house, because the sheer effort ti takes me to either carry a heavy bag of food outside or go out and bring in their feeder to fill every time I want to feed them, is just too much. So, I decided to do what any lazy...um, creative problem solver would do. I moved all the food to a bin that is mostly right next to the feeder.

Great.
Problem solved.

Until the javellina came to pay me a visit. They've done this before...knocked over the heavy container, ripped off the lid...and ate all the food. So, I outsmarted them this time...I put the container on the patio chair!

a-ha!

It ended up knocked over...thrown off the chair, probably dislodging the lid, and spilling the food...so, all in all, I probably actually help the pigs devour all the food...leaving me absolutely nothing but seed dust. Which makes for some very hungry neighborhood birds, especially when I forget to buy their food. Although, to be fair, I did try to buy some the other day, and all the store had was rabbit food. But, I remembered last night (and even roped my friend Steven to carry it for me...he was my dinner and movie date for the evening. Sushi and Hairspray...I love to watch musicals with him, and usually waits until he shames me into "why haven't you seen this yet!?!?!" But, he knows it's because I'm waiting for him...and Hairspray was a great movie!)

And, even though I finally got some food for the local winged beasts...I really didn't have to worry because my mother and Rozz have been busy winter elves this year and made this wonderful string of food for me to hang in my tree and left it by my door...It is made with dried cranberries, apples, and what looks like mangoes...and raw peanuts (mom had thought that the birds may not appreciate roasted salted ones) Not only is it beautiful hanging up in the tree...but, it smelled temptingly sweet for me to eat as well. I didn't think the birds would be happy if I ate the food that was so thoughtfully made for them...So, up it went last night...and then this morning the feeder got filled as well...

I expect the hoards of my thankful feathered friends to be singing my praises any minute now...

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

You are soooo good to your birdies! I love how festive the hanging feed is too. As for my wildlife, we have the occasional ground squirrels, which my dog Sasha would devour if she had the choice and this random squirrel (we have never seen a squirrel in our neighborhood before now), and the neighbor black cat that loves to torture the dogs by hanging out on the back wall, looking to catch our great lizards, while again, our dogs howl and scream (do dogs scream?) from inside the house. It is like a zoo out here...nothing peaceful like your beautiful winter yard. Oh, and did I mention the pigeons that land on the house and poop on it, and the TV dish outside, messing up the reception? The inconveniences of wildlife....j/k. :)

Felicia said...

What a delightful bird food garland :)

~Molly~ said...

Yikes!!! Are they as mean as east Texas wild hogs?? We have them in our parks and school playgrounds here in our town. One of my oldest daughter's friends killed one on her first day hunting a few weeks ago.

My mom's neighbor had a bear come tear up their bird feeder(and mom swears they don't have bears that far down the mountain-because she knows of my phobia).

Worst we have is big nasty rats and squirrels. I did get some black sunflower seeds tonight, my last mix didn't have any and that's what the cardinals love.

Molly

Carol Dunton said...

I LOVE THIS!! I want to have my class make this for a January project! What a treat it would be to live in a tree at your house! Love you, girl!

: )

VB

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin