06 December 2007

Happy 94th!!

Yesterday was my grandmother's 94th Birthday...

Yup, you read that right...94!

I know, I know...good genes and all that...honestly people get so excited when you tell them her age, "Oh...you're going to live at least that long!!"

Gosh, I wonder if I really want to?

Not that GG is doing badly...she still lives in her own home, and cooks better meals for herself than I do. My mother and Rozzie help her out a lot during the week...she's still darned funny, has a decent memory (sometimes better than my own surely...I forgot to blow a candle out the other night before I went to bed and she was telling me a story about the time she was tailoring a coat...during her fashion designing days...that took her 40 hours to complete...I had just been complaining about spending 4 hours and breaking 1 needle quilting that tree skirt from this weekend) and can carry on a conversation with the best of us (meaning, we talk a lot in my family...and she can hang in there with all of it!) and as you can see, she still puts out her Vintage Christmas Candles (the one's that didn't melt when we moved here...can you tell where these collections stemmed from?)

(that is GG's face as she read and recognized this year's holiday card...I will post pictures soon)

We got together for a little celebration last night to exchange gifts and eat...mmmm...herbed popcorn, veggie chips with vegan dill dip...and a wonderful gluten-free spice cake with chocolate icing (made by my mother) I had a lovely sugar high...which resulted in me having to rush home and eat something quick...

(although maybe I carried the sugar through because I seem to be in a bit of a snarky mood today for some reason...)

You can also see Rozzie knitting in the background...we're not far from our knitting these days...and the girl is out-knitting me by far...

Rozz also led us in the singing of Chrismas carols...


Happy Birthday GG!

I almost said...here's to 94 more years!

But, that may be taking it a bit far...

Oh damn. I just got a ticket on my car...I suppose I'd better go move it...

sigh.

9 comments:

flutter said...

Oh she is just so lovely!

~Molly~ said...

You are blessed to have her in your life at this age(yours). 3 of my 4 grandparents lived past 90 and my great-grandfather(dad's dad's dad) was 99.5 when he passed away, born in 1888.

Enjoy her, especially since she knows you and can converse. Mine all had dementia, some just the last few years of their lives, but my mom's mom had it for about 12 years and it was sooooo difficult and sad. She was older, born in 1907, and I didn't know her as well as I'd have liked. Have fun with your grandma!!

Oh yeah, I need to know what colors you like. I've got something up my sleeve in a dark, rich red(bluer, not orange red) and/or a bright turquoise blue and white combo. Not saying what it is or that you'll end up with it, I just need a color to start with.

Molly
sdvhffho(are they joking?)

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

Oh my gosh!!! 94!!!! Woweeeeee! Wonderful!!!!! Happy Happy Sair'as Granny!!!! xoxox

Suzanne said...

Her age sure IS impressive, and the way you eat, you are bound to live twice that long. Oh, or maybe a little less???-

By the way, received your XMas card the other day and am sooooo impressed by your artistic skill. How on EARTH did you put yourself in a globe? Steve and I LOVE (oh, and Soren) the card!

Anonymous said...

Wow 94!! Terrific photos. :D

And I just go power this afternoon--but your sweet card was delivered yesterday. THANK YOU. It was in the first batch of mail we'd received since this Hurricane hit and it was so lovely to hear from someone from the outside world. We've been so disconnected and without information for so long--your card came at the most perfect time. :D

Anonymous said...

Coolness begets coolness -- no surprise that you've got such a rockin' grandmother! Happy 94th to her!

Mary @ Confessions of a Craft Addict

Felicia said...

Happiest of Birthdays to your grandma! :)

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Sounds like an absolutely lovely lady--happy birthday GG!!!!

Anonymous said...

GG is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin