23 December 2007

Holiday Baking...


Done.

Check.

Sugar Coma...here we come!



I got started a little early with a burst of baking energy on Friday night.

I tried a little something new. Making Peanut Butter Cups with the recipe found on Turkey Feathers. It was deceptively easy...and super fun to boot! (especially if you like Reces Peanut Butter Cups, and can't do the dairy in the milk chocolate)

I made 2 batches using little paper lined foil cups I found at JoAnn's...One batch was organic dark chocolate and peanut butter, the other was organic carob and peanut butter (a little treat for Rich for Solstice)

And, apparently it was a peanut butter kind of night because, I put my feet up for about 5 minutes before I felt the urge to jump up and try this peanut butter fudge recipe:

INGREDIENTS
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 cups confectioners' sugar sifted
DIRECTIONS
  1. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and milk. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter and vanilla. Pour over sifted confectioners' sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat until smooth; pour into an 8x8 inch dish. Chill until firm and cut into squares.
First time...and it's a keeper! It's certainly sweet enough with the good flavor of peanut butter. I used all organic ingredients, and substituted soy margarine for the butter (like I always do in all of my recipes) and everything turned out fine!

When Rozzilyn came over on Saturday, I was ready for her...we worked on our sugar cookie dough, so that it would have time to chill...and made lemon bars:

I am of the school of thought, that there can never be enough lemon bars at any gathering. They are just the right marriage of sweet and tart...

And look at that little picket fence on the vintage Fruit Cake tin I scored this season! I tell you, I was just lamenting the fact that very morning when I was thinking back about all the baking my mother used to do for the holidays (before we realized we were allergic to everything because sometimes the substitutions we have to make don't end up in the most tastiest of treats...so, we've had to give up some of our past favorites) Anyway...She was an amazing baker, and we spend many hours together in the kitchen when I was little...having a lot of fun! She used to pack all of the goodies we made up in the most wonderful of vintage tins that she collected...and here I was wanting some for myself...and 3 magically appeared, in just the perfect sized that they stacked within each other eagerly waiting to be filled...



And fill them we did!

I made 4 batches
of frosting and let Rozzilyn pick out the colors...

white
red
green
blue

I don't remember
quite going though all this trouble last year with these, maybe just using one color of frosting and some sprinkles...but she remembered at least using the cookie cutters...so, I felt like maybe this was the chance to start a tradition...



While Rozz worked on frosting the sugar cookies...I put together some of what I call Lindsor Tortes...

Although, I think they're just considered jam filled sugar cookies...

They're still good, and little different taste with that strawberry jam in them, rather than just straight sugar frosting...






I had enough time to decorate some sugar cookies myself, although I have to brag that some of my most favorite ones that were decorated this year, were made by Rozzie.

She hinted at least a couple of times about how fun it would be to make cookies...and have a bakery together...

I agree, because she made the most breathtaking green Christmas Tree with blue sprinkles I've ever seen...and it may not last until Tuesday, but become part of breakfast and coffee instead!

(there will be a New Year Resolution about starting up that pesky waddling...er, walking again, for sure)

7 comments:

Carol Dunton said...

OH! I think I gained 5 lbs. just drooling over your cookies and fudge and lemon bars and tortes and more cookies and peanut butter cups and MORE cookies and....oh my! YEAH for holiday baking! It looks like it was a perfect day! Thank you for sharing it all with us!
Merry Christmas, dear friend!
VB

Granny J said...

Wow - I could enjoy the baking without the pigging -- a wonderful concept. As is the idea of making one's own peanut butter cups; I never, in my wildest dreams, conceived of that idea. Did I mention that i have a major weakness for peanut butter anything?

Merry Christmas to you and to Roz!

flutter said...

Oh that would be a hospital visit! heh

Anonymous said...

Lemon bars! I love lemon bars! Honey introduced me to them and I really did not know what I had been missing. The PB cups look yummy, too.

Catalyst said...

Oh, my. The s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-u-g-a-r-r-r-r-r-r-r!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'll take a sugar cookie please....

Felicia said...

Yum and double yum! Merry Christmas :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin